Parallel Modernism: Koga Harue and Avant-Garde Art in Modern Japan (University of California Press, 2019)
Author Chinghsin Wu discusses conceptualizing global modernism through works by the Japanese artist Koga Harue.
- Global modernism and global contemporary art
- Transcultural and transnational approaches
- Gender and identity
- Alicia Volk, In Pursuit of Universalism: Yorozu Tetsugorō and Japanese Modern Art (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2010).
- Bert Winther-Tamaki, Maximum Embodiment: Yōga, the Western Painting of Japan, 1912–1955 (Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press, 2012).
- Gennifer Weisenfeld, Mavo: Japanese Artists and the Avant-Garde, 1905–1931 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002).
- Erin Schoneveld, Shirakaba and Japanese Modernism: Art Magazines, Artistic Collectives, and the Early Avant- Garde. (Leiden: Brill, 2019).