Author Eugenia Bogdanova-Kummer discusses calligraphy, abstraction, and global contemporary art in postwar Japan.
- Calligraphy, brush arts, and word-and-image
- Global modernism and global contemporary art
- Transcultural and transnational approaches
- Abstract art and abstract painting
- Postwar avant-garde
- Winther-Tamaki, Bert. Art in the encounter of nations: Japanese and American artists in the early postwar years. University of Hawaii Press, 2001.
- Bogdanova-Kummer, Eugenia. “Ink Splashes on Camera: Calligraphy, Action Painting, and Mass Media in Postwar Japan.” Modernism/modernity 27, no. 2 (2020): 299-321.
- Bogdanova-Kummer, Eugenia. “Contested Comparisons: Franz Kline and Japanese Calligraphy.” Tate Papers (2017).